Summers are in full swing across the country, and with the hot months come a number of seasonal fruits and vegetables. From watermelon to musk melon, cucumber to gourd – they are all packed with nutrients that the body requires during this sweltering weather. Nutritionists and experts recommend stocking up on the season’s freshest produce in order to give the body much-needed hydration and nutrition. It is also recommended to go local and source foods which are available in your region – a concept which many have forgotten. Celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar took to Instagram to talk about one such forgotten summer drink of India – the Bel Sherbet. Take a look at her post:
Bel Sherbet is a classic summer drink that is popular across India. The juicy concoction is prepared with the Bel fruit, also known as ‘wood apple’. The unique fruity taste of the sherbet is unlike any drink you would have tasted. The homemade sherbet is a must-have drink during the summer months for its multiple health benefits. Celebrity nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar shed some light on the various reasons why this healthy drink is a must-have during the summer months.
1. The first and foremost is the cooling properties of the fruit Bael. The reason that it is so highly recommended during the summer months is that it cools the body from within.
2. According to Diwekar, Bael Sherbet is said to heal stomach issues, and help maintain healthy hair and skin. “Traditionally, it’s used as a therapy for stomach ailments, weakness in legs and hands and to prevent hair loss,” she wrote in her post.
(Also Read: Suffering From Constipation? Here Are The Top 3 Foods That Rujuta Diwekar Recommends)
3. Not many people know that Bael Sherbet is quite high in antioxidants too which help the body fight free radicals. “The Bel fruit may not be high in prestige but that doesn’t stop it from being high on antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties and vitamins,” says Diwekar.
4. A seasonal diet is also said to boost immunity, and Bael Sherbet is no different. It is also a good source of Vitamin C that is known to help maintain a healthy immune system.
5. So, what are you waiting for? Make the most of the seasonal goodness and stock up on plenty of Indian summer drinks such as the Bael Sherbet.
Click here for the full step-by-step recipe of Bael Sherbet.
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves talking to and meeting like-minded foodies (especially the kind who like veg momos). Plus points if you get her bad jokes and sitcom references, or if you recommend a new place to eat at.